A system for communication across the BYU community.
What is the future of the BYU Phone System?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Toggle ItemHow do I access my voicemail?
1. To access your voicemail inbox, press the messages button on your IP Phone or dial into the correct voicemail system for your phone:
Exchange Voicemail on Prem (standard) 2-8844, 2-8841, or 2-8899 Exchange Voicemail on Office 365 2-8842 Cisco Unity Voicemail (new) 2-8843
2. Enter your PIN. If you have not set up your own PIN yet, the temporary PIN is 142106.
3. The attendant will then give you your account summary.
If you are off-campus, follow in same instructions above by calling 801-422-XXXX using the correct extension above.
Note: If the voicemail asks for an ID, enter your 5 digit extension (which includes the 2 + your normal 4 digit extension).
Toggle ItemHow do I reset my voicemail password?
If the account is unified through Exchange with an email account, you can first try to reset your PIN via Outlook or mail.byu.edu. Instructions can be found below:
- Outlook 2010 and later: Go to the File tab, and click the Manage Voice Mail button (if you do not have Unified Messaging, this button will not appear). A window will appear. Click Reset my voicemail PIN.
- Outlook on the Web: Log into outlook.office365.com. Click Settings (the gear) in the upper right-hand corner. Click View all Outlook settings. Click General, then Voice Mail. Click Update voice mail settings. Under Options, General, Voice mail, Reset PIN, click Reset my voice mail PIN. After confirmation, this will send an email with the new PIN.
If the account is not unified through Exchange or you are having other issues, please contact BYU IT Support (801) 422-4000 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. At this time all Cisco Unity accounts need to reset by contacting the support desk.
Toggle ItemHow do I pair my Bluetooth device with my phone?
- On the Cisco 8851 phone, hit the Applications options key that looks like a gear.
- Select “Bluetooth” from the menu.
- Select “Add bluetooth device”.
- Put your Bluetooth device in discovery mode.
- Once the Cisco 8851 set finds the phone, hit the “Pair” softkey.
- Once it is paired, hit “Exit” to exit the Bluetooth menu and “Exit to exit the Applications options menu.
- You should now be able to make a call on your Cisco 8851 and use your Bluetooth device instead of the handset or speakerphone.
Toggle ItemHow do I put someone on hold?
Press Hold. The hold icon appears and the line button flashes green.
To resume a call from hold, press the flashing green Line button, Resume, or Hold.
Toggle ItemHow do I forward my voicemails to my email?
You can request to receive voicemails in your email by submitting a request here.
If you are having problems with receiving emails from an old voicemail account, please call 2-4000 to contact BYU IT Support.